Thursday, October 4, 2012

Go with the Dolphins, Sierra - Marine Protection and Education in Drake Bay, Costa Rica


When I joyfully closed my eco lodge on May 1, 2008, my plan was to create a marine research and education center on my property. In fact, as the boat took away the very last guests on that day, another boat came in bringing a news crew from Channel 7 here in Costa Rica to cover the story of the transformation. (I always seem to attract publicity!) Since our very first tours in 1998, I had been paying marine biologists and supporting volunteers with the money I made from the eco lodge to take important data on all our tours. We have 10 years of good data about the location, behaviors, species, size of pods, fishing boats, etc. taken on hundreds and hundreds of tours.

The Grand Plan was always to create a protected marine area/sanctuary here due to the amazing abundance of sea life found here. But then it didn’t feel like it was the right time somehow. And more so after we lost a $250,000 grant due to the Madoff scandal (one of our benefactors lost a LOT of money and our biggest supporter and funding was lost). It started to feel like an effort and NOT FUN. So I let it go for a while.

Over the years since I have toyed with many ideas for the property, mainly a wellness/healing/spiritual center. But somehow, even though in many ways it sounded like a great idea, my heart was never 100% in it. And with many different experiences lately with various people it has become CRYSTAL CLEAR to me that this is neither mine nor the property’s path at this time. It all comes back to the dolphins and whales. It always has and it always will for me.

So it is with great JOY and PASSION that I have hooked up with Nori Neumann and Lucan Mulder and their foundations Women for Whales and BeAsOne and we are back to marine protection, preservation and education. This feels SO RIGHT!! IT IS TIME!!!

My heart is in the Sea and it is with those like-minded people that I belong. My tribe. And after that day I swam into the tuna nets, it is more evident than ever that the dolphins and whales and other sea life are needing our help. We have lots of amazing things already happening and a lot more to come. Nori and Lucan are the answers to my prayers as they have the passion and enthusiasm that I had when I first came to Costa Rica and will continue all the extensive work that has already been done. It warms my heart to know that it was not for nothing. They are dedicated and hard working and we get along VERY well. They are the perfect mix of grounded and “spiritual” that is a match to me. We are Ocean Warriors with lots of LOVE!

We will also be creating a community garden and some other exciting land projects beneficial to the community along with our marine projects.

This is only the beginning and there is a lot more to come. If you are interested in more information, volunteering or donating, please visit their website at: http://www.beasonefoundation.org/project/whale/costa-rica-spinner-dolphin They are in the process of creating a US based non profit foundation for larger donations.

I AM EXCITED!! What’s Next is HERE! Woo Hoo!! ♥ ♥ ♥

~ ♥ Sierra Goodman ♥ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment